The Marciana National Library
The library is in front of the Doge Palace inside the “palace of the Library”, an
Opera began by Sansovino in 1537 and ended by Scamozzi in 1588.
The building becomes since the beginning a “public library” in 1603 a law made of it the official public library of the Venetian Republic, since then printers had to deposit a copy of their books by the library. Thanks to important gift and donations the “ Marciana” increased its collection.
In 1811 the library moved at first by the Dogi palace and then by the mint palace. Finally in 1924 the “Marciana” moved back to its original site in Saint Mark’s Square.
Today the library count a million of books, most of them about the history of Venice, it is indeed an important reference point for all the studious from all the world.